HOW IT WORKS
Because of our small school size, only a limited number of openings are available every year. To assess an applicant, the committee considers achievement and motivation, appraises the standards of the current school’s curriculum, and considers the time and effort that the student has dedicated to the class and out-of-class activities.
- Exchanges and placements are only done during the High school year.
- If you are interested in doing an exchange or year-abroad with us, we suggest planning at least 6 months before the estimated date of arrival, as it can take several months to complete the process and find a suitable host family.
- You and your parents will need to complete our High School Exchange Visiting Student Application, which we will email to you. Your parents will also need to sign a document giving authority to the host parents to act as the parental authority while you are staying in their home.
- You and your parents will conduct separate SKYPE interviews with one of our International Student Coordinators.
- Acceptance to the program will not be granted until housing has been secured with a local host family.
- Our Host Families are not responsible for providing housing for parents who are visiting or any other guests of the international students during the course of their exchange.
- Please bring enough pocket money or organize ways of payment for any personal expenses, as the host family is only responsible for room and board, but nothing extra.
- Once a host family has been identified, you will be given their contact information so that you can get to know one another a little before arrival.
If we are not able to confirm an exchange or long term placement for you, you may be able to attend our high school as a short-term visiting student. The following are the requirements:
- You must be currently enrolled in a Waldorf High School
- You must have a basic understanding of Italian
- Your academic record must be currently in good standing
- You must complete an application for short-term entry
- Once your application has been confirmed by the high school faculty, you will receive a confirmation in writing from the Admissions Office.
- You will be asked to complete registration as confirmation of your visit. Registration includes: Exchange Registration Fee, Supply/Activity Fee, and monthly tuition. These fees are due and payable at the time of registration.
To request an application for a Short-Term Visit, please contact us.
Most of our exchange and visiting students are hosted in the homes of families who have their own children at the Waldorf school, either in the high school or the lower school. Some families are Italian, while others are international but have lived in Florence for many years. Staying in a family will give you the opportunity to experience local Italian life, to learn the Italian language, and to experience the local habits and traditions. It is central to the fully immersive experience of an international student.
Our host families have volunteered to host an international student in their homes and will be integral in helping you navigate your way around the school and your life in Florence. Identifying the most suitable host family comes first, that is why we would like to know your hobbies, lifestyle, and needs. Once a host family has been identified for you, the International Student Coordinator will help you to complete the registration process.
Although we strongly recommend staying with a host family, if for whatever reason this isn’t possible, other possibilities can be explored together such as renting a room, etc.